How to purchase:
About this book:
When Brad Aronson’s wife, Mia, got sick with leukemia, they were overwhelmed by the outpouring of kindness from friends, family members, and complete strangers. Often they were rescued by the smallest of gestures during that dark time. Aronson spent a lot of time in the hospital as Mia underwent two-and-a-half years of ultimately successful chemotherapy and so a patient advocate suggested he create a project to provide purpose and focus. During his wife’s treatment, Aronson realized fully, and for the first time, how life-changing a small act of kindness can be. So he began compiling and writing stories that captured those small acts of kindness that transform lives, as experienced both by his family and others.
The stories that Aronson writes about in HumanKind are about people who are ordinary yet incredible. You’ll meet the group of grandmothers who regularly trek to Philadelphia from the suburbs to mend clothes for homeless people; the woman whose decision to make an extra meal to feed someone in need led to a movement that has provided more than 500,000 meals; the nurse whose small gesture helped Aronson’s entire family; the construction worker whose kindness saved a homeless man during a chance encounter.
The heroes in HumanKind aren’t millionaires. They don’t command an army of helpers or have an abundance of free time. They simply look for little opportunities to make a difference. Their good deeds transform lives and even save them. In some cases, the ripple effect of a single good deed changed thousands of lives. HumanKind is filled with glorious examples of human kindness—stories of empowerment and inspiration. Stories that remind of our own good fortune and the amazing world in which we live.
As well as these heart-gladdening stories of generosity and good will, the book lists many organizations that Brad Aronson recommends you explore as opportunities for kickstarting your own acts of kindness. In HumanKind you will
- Learn how donating even a small amount can have an outsized impact like helping to cure an individual’s blindness or pay for a treatment that enables a disabled child to walk.
- Find out how you can make a difference with your words by writing letters of encouragement to hospitalized kids, foster youths, recently diagnosed cancer patients, deployed troops and others who will cherish your support
- Discover opportunities to provide help to those in need such as online lunchtime video conversations with underserved school classrooms to one-hour phone calls with veterans looking to get into your career field
- How you can mentor young people who would otherwise never have that opportunity due to social circumstances
- Learn how you can help others celebrate even amid difficult circumstances such as sponsoring a birthday party for a homeless child or packing up care packages for foster youths in college.
HumanKind will leave you feeling grateful and inspired, and will plant the seeds for the stories about the change you decide to make in the world.
About this author:
Brad Aronson invests in startup tech companies, and is passionate about serving at-risk youth. He serves on the boards of mentoring program Big Brothers Big Sisters and Hopeworks, a nonprofit that provides tech training and jobs to urban youth. He teaches entrepreneurship to inner city teens, and has every student start their own company, which has led to many adventures in business. keep reading »